TAKE THE STRESS OUT OF MOVING BY PLANNING WELL IN ADVANCE
The further you plan in advance, the less stress you will experience and it will make for a much smoother transition. To assist you with your move we have prepared a recommended checklist to remind you all of all the necessary task associated with your move. Everyone’s situation is different and all these items may not apply to you but it will be a good guide in reminding your of what you need to complete prior to moving.
8 WEEKS PRIOR TO CLOSING
- Make Complete Mortgage Application if necessary
- Are you purchasing new appliances or taking existing?
- Call or search for Moving Companies and begin getting estimates.
- Review all your belongings and dispose of unnecessary possessions.
- If available get a floor plan (with room dimensions) of your new home to help you decide which furnishings you want to keep and which room they will be placed.
- Create a file of moving-related expenses, contracts and receipts.
- Locate schools, healthcare professionals in your new location.
- Arrange to transfer your children’s school records and family medical records.
- Gather a list of all the new utility and other service providers
6 WEEKS PRIOR TO CLOSING
- If necessary secure offsite storage.
- Choose a mover and if possible confirm delivery date as close to the projected move date as possible to avoid any charges do to mortgage or builder delays.
- Contact your homeowner’s insurance agent about coverage for moving and secure more.
- Contact insurance companies (auto, homeowner’s, medical, and life) to arrange for coverage in your new home.
4 WEEKS PRIOR TO CLOSING
- Gather all your important papers, such as auto license, registration documents and title; any medical, dental and school records; birth certificates; wills, deeds, stock certificates, and other financial documents.
- Arrange any new contractors for new home, painters, rubbish, lawn care, alarm monitoring etc.
- If you are moving out of state and own any type of firearms become familiar with the new laws and those of any states you will be traveling through.
- Begin identifying packing any personal items that you plan to move yourself
- Arrange for any temporary housing
- Confirm closing date with lender or builder
- Secure any travel plans
Notify the following of your change of address:
- Post office
- Professional Licenses
- Banks & Credit Card companies
- Relatives and friends
- Magazine subscriptions
- Notify existing utility companies of date to discontinue/transfer service and/or establish service at your new home.
- Internet service
- Natural gas
- Heating oil
- Trash collection
- Department of Motor Vehicles
- Outdoor Services such as Lawn Care, Snow Removal
- Apartment – refund of your security deposit.
2 WEEKS PRIOR TO CLOSING
- Confirm moving arrangements with moving company
- Arrange special transport for your pets.
- Confirm any necessary new Appliance deliveries
1 WEEK PRIOR TO CLOSING
- Pack important documents, travel clothes, personal items and prescription medications.
- Arrange any funds or wire transfers needed with closing of new home
- Notify family and friends of travel plans and routes taken
- Re-Confirm and final arrangements with movers and other providers
- Arrange for any moving day conveniences, trash bags, various cleaners, temporary window coverings, box removal, extra hands, etc.